Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Ubiquitous Donuts

As I was driving through Salem, Massachusetts tonight, I noticed another Dunkin Donuts being built. I don't know if I'm shocked or disheartened. I'm trying to figure out why Americans feel the need to stop on a dime, and spend their hard-earned dollars on some many cups of coffee, to go. Don't get me wrong, I love coffee, and I like Dunkin Donuts, but I don't know why they are so ubiquitous. In Beverly, Massachusetts, which has a population of 40,000 plus, there are at least six Dunkin Donuts!!

I think it says something about Americans, and our insatiable desire to have what we want, when we want, how we want it. In other words, I think we're spoiled. How did we survive in the days when we had a cup of coffee at home in the morning and went to work. We took our lunch boxes, thermos bottles, or whatever, with what we needed for the day, and we went to work or school. We didn't feel the need to stop on the way to, on the way from, or during the day because we had a sudden urge. And we were pretty happy. Now, where there's a whim, there's a way, and we gotta have it. Damn the environment, damn the budget, our urges drive us on!! In the process we ruin the environment and teach kids important lessons about instant gratification. If you have an itch, scratch it, drink it, drive it, buy it sell it, but don't ever just feel it, and let it pass.

2 comments:

HektikLyfe said...

It really is driven by supply and demand. I haven't seen any Dunkin' Donuts around here. I do see a single Yum Yum (they are gross) but it is somewhat of a relief to see Krispy Kreme's vanishing in front of me. Avoiding temptation. The flavor is what keeps me going back to Krispy.

beverlyrealtor said...

I understand supply and demand. What I don't understand is why we are so demanding. These establishments are probably all within a five mile radius.

Thanks for your comments.

Search YouTube