Thursday, February 5, 2009

Is "Mr. Obama" racist?

OK, I've been wondering about this for several weeks now. It seems to me that many radio and TV personalities insist upon referring to President Obama as "Mr. Obama." This seemed to happen very infrequently with former presidents, so I wonder about the genesis of this phenomenon. I wonder if anyone has or will do a study of how many times President Obama is called Mr. Obama in the press, and compare these statistics against those for past presidents. I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong. For now, I sense a hint of racism here.

2 comments:

Tasha said...

I heard a journalist say (can't remember which) that the title Mr. was considered acceptable by the government when referring to the president, but I would need to figure out a way to confirm how true that is. Although I think that "Mr. Obama" is better than the N-word, I prefer "President Obama."

TripleLLL said...

Thanks for your comment. I just think he should be treated at least as well as past presidents.

There was an error in this gadget